Thursday, December 8, 2011

A new challenge: remove makeup with olive oil

Yes, I'm calling this a challenge because I have to admit that this ritual has been very challenging and I'm still trying to master the best tricks for my skin after over a month now.

Removing makeup with Extra Virgin Olive Oil is a well-known natural recipe for skin care. The claimed benefits are awesome: harmless and natural without drying skin, give your skin the moisture and nourishment it needs, remove makeup completely, clean effectively to avoid blemishes, inexpensive, etc. The logic is also very simple and it sounds promising (to me at least) - like
washes like, in other words, oil removes oil.

Let me share with you my interesting experience with EVOO so far: I did a bit of research and found that the best to use on face is Extra Virgin Olive Oil that is cold pressed. I'm not an expert about oil
production so I just looked for the one with words like "Extra Virgin" and "Cold" on packaging. It did not cost much anyways.

It was a fascinating moment when I pressed a handful of oil on my face for the first time. Trying to smooth it out my entire face in an upward direction, leave it on for 2 minutes or so. Then I press a hot damp towel on my face for the steaming action. This is supposed to push the oil or any dirt out of your pores. After a few gentle wipes, then I pat dry. DONE!

This was repeated for about a month and I only use it at night as it removes my makeup. Ok, here's the pros and cons for me.

Pros - my skin feels less dry, if you have read some of my other posts, I have dry sensitive skin.

Cons - can't completely remove my under-eye concealer, I had to wash again; wiping with hot towel did not treat my skin well, I noticed slightly bigger pores.

So far I guess my experience with EVOO was not impressive. I told myself not to give it up easily as I know it takes time for the skin to adapt and function well. Having said that I've also been looking for alternative ways to may be tweak this method a bit to make it work for me. I'm staying faithful!

1 comment:

  1. Even almond oil can serve the purpose well. Since olive oil doesn't suit me much, I opt for Almond oil. You should too!

    ReplyDelete

I would LOVE to hear from you!