Saturday, June 25, 2011

How to pick the perfect serum for you?



Yes the question is how to pick the perfect serum. Many may pick according to its functional benefits for example anti-aging, fight wrinkles, nourishing, ultra moisturising, whitening, the list can go on and on :) But to me I pick mine based on their texture, before looking at its functional benefits. Remember the benefits are what those manufacturers want to claim, of course with the support of some clinical reports that we can never understand. I'm not saying they are making false claims but for many products out there, especially serum, the magical claims do take time before we are able to see results happened to us (at least for me)! So picking the right texture is critical as I'm able to feel its instant effect.

Different textures of serum
Texture of serum is generally more versatile, for it's supposed to be applied as the first layer after toning your skin and to be absorbed easily. Having said that the textures can differ from its level of oil and water. It's hard to tell if it fits your skin just from how the liquid looks. The best I suggest is to try on your back of palm, wait for 2 minutes, observe and feel if there's a film left or it's completely absorbed. You may also measure that using oil removal paper. To summarize, the ones that leave a film contain more oil in the formula, and the ones that are completely absorbed contain more water than oil.

In general I prefer a serum that contains more water than oil, meaning it's completely absorbed after putting on. If you have very dry mature skin (meaning your skin feels very tight or even flaking after cleansed), use a richer serum that leaves a film of oil and use the warmth of your palm to help the absorption. If you have normal, not seriously dry, or oily skin, I suggest a light serum that is usually in transparent liquid form and contains more water than oil in the formula. Once you know you are looking for a light serum, it's time to pick between functions that your skin needs.

For different skin types, it's ok to use the same light serum, the key is to use a lotion or cream to regulate your oil and water balance in the second layer. Will talk about lotion and cream in the next couple of posts!

4 comments:

  1. I am so in love with this blog. There's is always a post that's very useful to my skincare routine.

    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Valerie, I'm so happy that you like what I write here! Your comments motivates me to keep writing! I hope more people will share the same and care about their skin more like we do :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. After reading this blog i think that my concept pf choosing the serum has improved. Now i am capable of suggesting others also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Senegence,
    yes definitely spread this out! And I believe every one of us deserves naturally beautiful skin!

    ReplyDelete

I would LOVE to hear from you!