Sunday, June 5, 2011

Deep cleansing series #1: keep skin clean so deep cleansing is more effective


Taking an example of cleaning your house, you need good cleaning tools of course and may be you want to pick a good time to clean like a sunny morning or afternoon. If you have lots of stubborn stains or dirt deeply in the corner or between gaps, you need more time effort and usually stronger tools to get rid of it. Having said that, there is still hard-to-reach dust that would be left there "forever".

Back to skin cleansing, I believe the same concept applies. You need to keep your skin as clean and clear as you can so your whatever scrubs or masks could do their jobs effectively. To me keeping my skin clean is the most important step in the skincare ritual.
1. Cleanse your face daily in right ways (more details in my previous posts "the right ways of cleansing face") to wash away all sorts of dirts and residues including residues from your makeup remover that many of us are not aware of! This closes the door for the hateful blemishes and acnes resulted from acculumated residues and clogged pores, a good housekeeping!

2. Pick your cleansing products according to your moon cycle (more details in "how to take care of your skin in moon cycle" post)
I use my regular cleanser during my phase 1 of moon cycle. When I say regular cleanser I mean something you use most often which your skin feels most comfortable and not dry after use. Usually non foaming formula is less dry.

Entering phase 2, I use special cleanser every other day. I use Fresh Umbrian Clay Treatment (use it as cleanser) and Kanebo Suisai Beauty Clear Powder. Suisai is a soy-based enzyme cleanser with enzymes and silk powder. When mixed with water the powder forms dense and creamy foam that dissolves excess sebum and dull surface debris mildly. Skin feels clear and supple instantly. This also helps to prevent my blackheads buildup!

Entering phase 3 (the last phase), I use Vichy Normaderm deep cleansing gel. This is important to minimize breakouts during this phase as it controls sebum secretion.

I will talk more about products and ways for deep cleansing in next coupld of posts, stay tuned ;) 

8 comments:

  1. Thank you for this post. The Moon Cycle Method is explained with more clarity since you used examples to illustrate the method.

    Now, I have a better idea of the type of products to use during the different phases.

    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you use the Fresh Umbrian Clay Treatment and Kanebo Suisai Beauty Clear Powder one after the other or do you use either of them ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Valerie! Glad that you find this helpful.

    Hi there, I use either of them each time and use it every other day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,

    On the day you use these enzyme-based and clay based cleansers, do you use them morning and night ? Or do you use your regular cleanser in the morming and the special cleanser at night ?

    Also, I was reading the "How to take care of your skin in a moon cycle", I was wondering if could you tell us the heavier moisturizer, regular moisturizer, regular serum, heavier serum, nourishing & hydrating mask, the oil-control toner and lotion, and how do you apply them (every other day, daily,...)so I can have a better idea of the type of products to choose for the different weeks of the cycle ?

    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  5. I forgot to ask, usually it is recommended to exfoliate(with either enzymes,clays,fruit acids or scrubs) twice a week, do also exfoliate during phase 1 and 3 or do you exfoliate only during phase 2 ?

    Thnak you again

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there,

    Good question, yes usually in morning I use my regular cleanser only. At night I use enzyme-based powder or clay cleanser and alternate with regular cleanser every other night. For example: regular in day 1, enzyme powder in day 2, regular in day 4, clay cleanser in day 5, and go on.

    Thanks for your interest in the moon cycle skincare. I do receive a lot of questions about this topic. Let me post a follow up post to explain more about the details. Stay tuned! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry Correction:
    For example: regular in day 1, enzyme powder in day 2, regular in day 3, clay cleanser in day 4, and go on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Re. question about exfoliation.

    I would not exfoliate in phase 1 or phase 3, for reasons that in phase 1, my skin is the most dry so moisture and nourishment is just what my skin needs, not exfoliation. In phase 3, my skin is the most sensitive and acne-prone due to hormonal change so it's not the best time for exfoliation. I would not irritate my skin at all and oil control is just what my skin needs in phase 3.

    Twice a week is a general safe way to use exfoliating products. Many manufacturers are trying to educate their consumers to adopt a regular usage habit on particular products to drive consumption so the products sell. However to me that is not necessarily the way your skin will love because skin changes.

    ReplyDelete

I would LOVE to hear from you!